Sunday, September 30

the day's take


A photo of my garden haul for this afternoon: many eggplants, a pile of paprika and sigaretti peppers, collards, raspberries, basil, tomatoes, rhubarb, and what you can't see is a 5 gallon pail of white yams and 6 big ole squashes!

Whew, what will I do with them all? not quite sure yet... I've got some big sewing projects going on so I'll probably try to preserve them in some way til later.

Hey tab- I'd love the pear and raspberry chocolate jam recipes when you get a chance to scan or type them in. Thanks!

3 comments:

Tabitha said...

What kind of squashes did you harvest - is your 5 lb bucket of white yams like the ones I bought on Saturday? If the yams are the same - I read that they are slightly dryer than the normal orange kind and need a little longer cooking time. They are supposed to be better for soufflés - you can feel doubly virtuous with hand whipping eggs and adding yams you grew!

rachel said...

I keep forgetting to look at my seed packets to see what squashes I may have. I know I planted jaradahl but it was from saved seed that wasn't protected against cross-pollination so if they are that (and I don't label my plants) then it's hard to say exactly what they are. They look like jaradahl shape but they are orange rather than blue/grey. They could be something else- I planted buttercup and... sibley? But it isn't either of those... One day I might start to label or write things down. Or not.

Eppie said...

wow, what a great haul! My balcony garden yielded 5 cherry tomatoes, one tiny brandywine, 2 mini black futsu squashes (which are orange) and two softball sized melons. Pretty good for my first year container gardening, but sure nothing like a real garden. My herbs did pretty well though. I'm going to start plotting for a place to garden next spring...(plotting pun not intended but funny! hehe)