Wednesday, September 12

chipotles from the balcony garden

Hey guys, this is going to be fun blog!

My latest cooking fun began with Monday's supper, we had a bunch of ripe jalapeno peppers from our balcony and matt was wishing we had chipotles to put in the fish tacos we were making. Sooo, we roasted/broiled the peppers in the oven, which I'm pretty sure makes chipotles, at any rate they were tasty. We made a cheese chipotle sauce for the fish tacos. We had a cheese called uniqua or something from whole foods. For dinner tonight we just boiled up some bow-tie noodles and mixed it with the sauce and some tuna. I made a batch of mer-angs (I can't spell it so I might as well spell it really wrong). they are pretty good, they are like pie mer-ang rather than cookie mer-angs. I'll work on figuring out how to post pictures...

4 comments:

rachel said...

Man that was funny epp!

The first incidence of Mer-ang was totally normal but as I read it two more times I just bust a gut!

hahahhahahhahahhaaaa

Tabitha said...

I second Rachel's busting gut! I fell asleep amused. I'm wondering what a pie mer-ang is like versus a cookie one. If it's like a pie mer-ang is it soft and do you eat it with a spoon unlike a hard, pick-upable mer-ang?

Eppie said...

It was like on top of a lemon pie, but in individual dollops rather than the crunchy muer-angue cookiueus

Unknown said...

yu gies make me smile - isn't mer-ang the correct spelling??

Rachel asked for things to make with leftover egg yolks awhile back, when she was cooking with mer-ang (or was it just with egg whites), and I came up with this list for future reference ... I need a camera so I can publish my pics of soups and such (don't hold the cold seereal and such against me, Sarah eats what she likes!):

custards
puddings
sauces
buttercreams
mayonnaise

Yolk Parfay Recipe
boil 2/3 c sugar and 1/4 cup water to soft ball stage and then take 6 egg yolks and beat them at high speed for 3 minutes until light and thick. Pour the syrup over the yolks and beat 10 minutes. Beat in 1/4 cup of your favorite liquor (Amaretto, etc.)and chill for 45 min. Whip 2 cups heavy cream, fold carefully into the yolk mixture and freeze mixture for at least 2 hours. Serve it spooned over sliced mangos, raspberries, pound cake, add slivered almonds, etc. Recipe from The Mer-ang Cookbook (Margaret N. Shakespeare)I used to take out of the library all the time when you guys were growing up, and which Rachel gave me a copy of a couple years ago!!