Monday, September 17

APPLES APPLES APPLES!!!


YEssssssss!!!! Apples!

I went apple picking yesterday. Did my usual procedure: two bites out of one off the tree before I pick from it, and I left with just one bag full. The full range of varieties aren't ripe yet and I wasn't super pleased with the flavor of my favorites this year- Jonagold and Cortland. The prairie spy's were good as usual though.

Last night I made apple crisp. Tonight I made these apple raspberry galettes- I find my pastry turns out best when I use the bare minimum of water to moisten the flour. I have raspberries in my garden right now. I also harvested the first row of my white yams! They look really promising and are curing on the porch right now. My squash production is looking good too.

Oh, and I decided not to make apple butter this year- as much as I love it I have many other jams and I'm just not as inspired about apple butter. I'm going to make pumpkin/squash butter instead!

Hey Tab do you have any interesting sounding raspberry jam recipes from Mes Confitures for me? I couldn't think of anything interesting with the 7 pints of I-Picked I got last weekend. so I froze them to make jam later....

1 comment:

Tabitha said...

Did you use the Deborah Madison galette recipe? I bet we made the same one today!

I'll check my cookbooks for some raspberry jam recipes and get back to you.

A couple of years ago I did some research on pumpkin butters and have a SLEW of recipes on them as well - I'll get back to you on those also!

I don't think I've ever seen a white yam - where is the seed traditionally from?