Saturday, September 29

Saturday Morning Farmers Market






I slept in this morning so we were at the Farmers Market later than usual. The cabbage in the picture above fascinated me however I did not want to be responsible for cooking the massive thing. Also pictured is Bob Otis - the man I purchase 95% of my meat from - today he was out of ground lamb so I only bought eggs. In the last month or so Stephen and I have stopped by Black Dog Cafe on our way back to the car from the Market. They have excellent cold press and coffee cake. Finally you can see most of our haul for the week - not pictured are eggs and unpasteurized cider.

3 comments:

rachel said...

OHyeah, I've got some of those savoy cabbages in my garden but I don't think they will size up very well before they freeze. If they do I"m gonna try my hand at real sauerkraut. Ahhh lacto-fermentation...

mmm... I love going out for coffee cake.

Tabitha said...

Stephen tried sauerkraut earlier this year. The silly boy decided to do it "his own way" and just shreded the cabbage and left it on the counter in a plastic bowl with salt added. As you can guess it was horrible and ended up in the compost bin....

rachel said...

yes those are probably the same white yams I grew. Plus they are from Johnny's Seeds and lots of farmers buy from them. I like them but I think it will be a struggle to keep them well over the winter. I had to throw out all my sweet potatoes last year. Seems I didn't learn my lesson.