Monday, September 17

Rhubarb Hand Pie



I had a friend over for dinner who is allergic to fructose. There are a couple fruits low in fructose which she can eat - cranberries, rhubarb and citrus. I had planned on making a Rhubarb Crisp only to realize when I started chopping the rhubarb tonight that crisp has a lot of brown sugar - not good for her. Soo I decided to try hand pies. I made the galette recipe from Deborah Madison. For the filling I chopped 4 cups of rhubarb, and cooked it with 1 cup of sugar, enough water to get it cooking and three sprigs of anise hyssop. I didn't intend to boil the heck out of it - I wanted some chunks of rhubarb left - however, I couldn't get it thick enough for a filling without boiling the heck out of it. The filling had to be iced before making the hand pies - hot filling would have turned the crust to mush. They turned out delicious! Maybe next time I would reserve a cup of rhubarb and add it during the last 10 minutes of cooking for a varied texture.

1 comment:

rachel said...

Tab you think that's bad... I have a new friend who's consulting with me on my program, and he's a great friend-- He's allergic to raw vegetables!!! For real.