Saturday, September 15

Jam


On the left you see the rhubarb anise hyssop portion of my rhubarb, apple, passion fruit, anise hyssop jam. There was a lot of cheep rhubarb at the farmers market this morning so I thought I'd get another batch of jam in. While looking for a new and interesting rhubarb recipe I found one for lemon verbena and had to try that also. In the middle is a peach lemon verbena jam. Both of these jams are made in the method of lightly simmering the fruit and sugar the evening prior to making the jam.

On the right are raw olives. While touring Mississippi Market we ran across these for only $3.60 a pound. Even though I dislike olives I thought it would be fun to "make" some. First you whack them with a mallet to crack them, followed by six to ten days of changing their soaking water twice a day, and finally you brine them in a salt/lemon solution. Should be interesting.....

No comments: