Saturday, September 29

Parsnips



Generally I avoid parsnips - this morning I decided to give parsnips another try - there were so many at the Farmers Market and they looked fun. Pictured is a parsnip spice cake - tiz yummy. Also - it is very amusing to create handlebar mustaches with them!

I slept for two hours on the couch today under two wool blankets - it made me in the mood for baking - thus the cake and two loaves of bread - a very relaxing afternoon of warm blankets and cool rain.

Parsnip Cake recipe based on one from Down To Earth
Boil for 1 minute
1/2 cup grated parsnips (w/micro plane)
1 tsp grated ginger
7 T butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/3 cup currants
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
Cool mixture to luke warm and add 2 tsp brandy. Stir into 2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp baking soda. 9X13 at 325 for 30-35 minutes.

2 comments:

rachel said...

that's a good recipe to have on hand- thanks Tab. I've got some parsnips in my garden I'll dig up sometime before the ground freezes through. And parsley root.

Tabitha said...

When you dig up the parsley root - you should make the recipe in Savory Way with lentils, parsley root and walnuts - most excellent!