Saturday, September 8

Best thing since sliced bread?


Best thing since sliced bread - potato bread with gin! We went out to Spoonriver last night and I had an epiphany! I ordered the Mill City Fizz - Hendricks gin, soda and sage. It was an excellent cocktail and an eye opener in itself. I didn't know that I would like gin with soda (versus tonic). The addition of sage smoothes the entire wonderful cocktail. The epiphany came when they served the bread. It was a rustic potato bread that matches perfectly, perfectly! with the sage gin cocktail. So I made it tonight. The potato bread recipe comes from The Wooden Spoon Bread Book.

Potato Bread
Boil 1 cup of small-diced potatoes in 2 cups of water until they are easily pierced with a fork. Add 3 T butter, 3 T molasses and 1 T salt let this mixture cool. While the potato mixture cools mix together 1 cup water, 1 1/2 T yeast, 1 T sugar, 3/4 cup wheat flour and 3/4 cup white flour. Combine the two mixtures when the potato mixture is luke warm and add enough parts of equal white and whole wheat flour to make delicious bread - three loaves at 375 for 35 minutes.

Gin Sage Soda - Yumminess
1 1/2 oz Hendricks gin
2 Sage Leaves
Soda to top.

Muddle the sage leaves with the gin, add ice, stir, top with soda. Stir the cocktail for 10 seconds to de-fizz the soda. Drink with potato bread.

1 comment:

rachel said...

oh now that's an excuse to have a friend over for drinks! Must do!! I've got a boatload of sage to use... but I don't need an excuse to buy a bottle of Hendricks. But I'll take it.