Tuesday, October 9

Who is going to make me these doughnuts?

Instead of walking home from my bus stop in Highland I looked for cookbooks at Half Price Books and took myself out to tea at the TeaSource while waiting for Stephen to pick me up. It was sample day at the TeaSource - 5 3oz samples of tea for $3.00 - a good deal. I had Lavenderberry (yicky rooibos based - smells like rust), Yunnan Puerh (I gave it a good try but it tastes like a damp cave), Milk Oolong (absolutely delicious - tastes like sweet butter with a slight floral edge), Some sort of fruit flavored green tea, and Prairie Passion (ya'll have had that).

For $10.00 Half Price coughed up three lovely books for me. One buck for The Festive Bread Book, one buck for Crepes, and seven for Will Write For Food.

The following recipe is from The Festive Bread Book. Supposedly this was "an American favorite in eighteenth-century New York". I think it sounds fascinating because of the grated apples and candied lemon peel - might be a good one to try for Thanksgiving.

Oliebollen
2/1/2 - 3 cups flour
1/2 T yeast
3 T sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
1/4 cup milk
2/3 cup cream
2 T butter
2 egg yolks
1 cup coarsely grated apples
1/3 cup raisins (I would use currents instead or omit them all together)
1/4 cup candied lemon peel

Heat milk, cream and butter till hot. Sift dry ingredients. Beat all ingredients together add flour to make a soft dough. Rise until double. Beat dough down and form into balls the size of a walnut. Fry in 375 degree oil.

4 comments:

Eppie said...

Man, have I been craving donuts lately! There are no bakeries that make donuts, the only ones anywhere are krispy kreme, which are tasty and all but are not a real donut in my book. I might have to try this recipe!

rachel said...

Really I think these sound great!!! Raisins/currants, apples, a rich dough! Gosh somebody has to make these.

Eppie said...

Hmm, would it work with plain lemon peel instead of candied?

Unknown said...

I have had milk oolong tea before and enjoy the sweetness. Hard to believe that it does not have anything added to it. Try cream earl grey black tea for a real special treat. It is so rich that I feel like I am indulging myself.