Saturday, October 6

I love having a CSA




Our fall CSA started on Thursday and it is superb. It included beans, radishes, mixed greens, turnips (pink on the outside, a huge buch of mustard greens, and eggplants, oh and broccoli too! So so fun. It is crazy that I am getting a "fall" csa and it is consistently in the 70s and 80s everyday. On Thursday I made Turnip Soup with Guyere Croutons, from Deborah Madison's Veg for everyone. It was really tasty (I had no idea I liked turnips!), I couldn't believe it when I read the recipe and had both turnips and guyere in the fridge, it was destined to be... Last night I wanted to use the mustard greens, but could not find a good recipe, so I made a crustless quiche with eggplant, mustard greens, and goat cheese, with brownies for dessert.
The quiche is reheating now for breakfast, then we'll head over to the farmers market, today is the last one for the year. Oh, and if anyone wants to send me a jug of apple cider, I'm open for trades!

4 comments:

rachel said...

Cool Epp! What's the farm name?

I'm getting a storage share from Kristen. Bring on the beets, celeriac and sweet potatoes!

rachel said...

oh and for the mustard greens- I think every green is best blanched for a minute or two and then sauteed in olive oil and garlic.

But mustard greens are also good in a stir fry- with radishes, green beans, whatever!

I sauteed eggplant today and had it over couscous with tahini sauce. They tasted like mushrooms- really solid eggplants I've grown.

Tabitha said...

Hey Eppie

Thanks for previewing the turnuip soup - I'll try it out sometime this week. I purchased some last Saturday at the Farmers Market. I wonder if some daikon radish would work well with it...

Eppie said...

the farm is called Snows Bend, they have a nice website. All the squashes I have bought so far are from them. They are having a get-together at the farm this Saturday, but arg I have to work.

Mushroom eggplants! sounds great :)

Tab, the soup really was great, it made a big batch so I froze the rest, hopefully it will taste as good reheated.