Monday, March 2

Pasta and Chickpeas with plenty of parsley and garlic

Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen, by Deborah Madison
Cookbook 10, Recipe 1 (total 22)

It doesn't get better than Deborah Madison. I love her cookbooks. This book was given to me by my in-laws David & Rita for Christmas this year.

Did I like it? It was hearty and good. I would have really enjoyed it with young garlic. My garlic is a little old and quite harsh. The recipe made me think of a deconstructed parsley pesto. I deviated from the directions by cooking the garlic - I wasn't in the mood for 3 cloves of raw winter garlic.

Recipe:
While bringing water to a boil for pasta. Heat olive oil in a pan and saute 1 small chopped onion. Add 1 can of chickpeas and heat for 3 minutes, add 3 chopped cloves of garlic along, with 1/2 tsp chili paste and cook for 5 minutes. Chop up 1 large bunch of parsley and a handful of sage leaves, add 1/3 of this mixture to the pan along with salt and pepper to taste. Cook this mixture, adding the liquid from the canned chickpeas as appropriate. Cook 1/4 lb pasta, drain, add to pan with the remaining parsley/sage. Serve with grated parmesan.