Monday, March 23

Orange and Black Olive Salad

Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco by Paula Wolfert
Cookbook 12, Recipe 1 (Total 26)

Last week I was sick the entire week. I didn't get off the couch in the evening and ate mostly ramen. Fortunately my cold cleared well enough by Friday to visit Rachel as we planned. We decided to cook on Saturday evening and chose this cookbook because she has it as well as I and then I wouldn't be stuck with 2 cookbooks this week.

Rachel pointed out that although the recipe calls for canned black olives, Paula Wolfert would probably call for something different now. The cookbook was published in 1973 and olive availability now versus 35 years ago is a bit different.

Did I like it? Surprisingly yes. I really dislike olives and rarely ever eat them. Both Rachel and Stephen love olives so it seemed like a good choice to make. The oranges combine with the olives to form a great marinade.

Recipe:
In a bowl place, three supremed valencia oranges, 1 cup chopped up kalamata and salt curred Moroccan olives, 2 T olive oil, 1 clove chopped garlic, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp salt, pinch of cumin, and 1/4 cup chopped parsley. Serve.

No comments: