Monday, March 9

Cauliflower Cheddar Gratin

Vegetable Love Vegetables delicious, alone or with pasta, seafood, poultry, meat and more by Barbara Kafka
Cookbook 11, Recipe 1, (Total 24)

Or as pa likes to call her "Barbara aka 500 Kafka". She generally cooks food a much higher temperature than your standard cookbook authors. This cookbook is organized by vegetable which is handy. I picked up cauliflower on Saturday. Sunday I decided I wanted to make this recipe - Yep I've made it before. I didn't set any rules against making something I already like.


Did I like it? Yep! I think cheddar sauce is much better on Cauliflower than broccoli. I've only recently begun to enjoy cauliflower and I think this is my favorite Cauliflower dish.

Recipe:
Steam enough cauliflower until fork tender to fill your baking dish (I used an 8x8 and therefore the following sauce is for an 8x8). Melt 2 T butter in a sauce pan and add 1/4 cup flour, cook for about 5 minutes or until it starts to break apart again and is a toasty brown. Mix together 1 & 1/4 cups milk, 1/3 cup cream, 1/8 tsp cayenne and 2 tsp salt. Gradually add to the butter/flour mixture with a whisk. Cook over medium heat until thick. Add 1 cup of grated cheese - a mixture of cheddar and Parmesan is my favorite. Pour sauce over cauliflower in the baking dish. Bake at 400 (not 500 this time) for 40 minutes.

No comments: