Tuesday, March 24

Matzoh Brei with Wild Mushrooms

Great Women Chefs Marvelous Meals & Innovative Recipes from the Stars of American Cuisine, by Julie Stillman
Cookbook 13, Recipe 1 (Total 28)

On Sunday I took a lamb leg roast out of the oven to cook tomorrow and use for sandwich materials this week. I decided to pick a cookbook that would use both a leg of lamb as well as the mushrooms we purchased at the Madison Farmers Market this weekend. This cookbook was written in 1996 and is a compilation of recipes from 30 top women chefs in the United States.

This recipe is from Anne Rosenzweig

Did I like it? Scrambled eggs with semi-soggy crackers... It was interesting at first and then way to heavy. I think if the butter was cut in 1/2 it would be easier to eat. I didn't even finish half of my serving. Stephen liked it.

How does one cook scrambled eggs crispy? I've never been able to acquire that happy talent.

Recipe: Melt 4 T of butter in a pan and slowly caramelize 1.5 chopped onion. Add 3 cups sliced mushrooms. Saute and place in a bowl. Meanwhile, mix 4 eggs and 1/4 cup plus 2 T milk together with salt and pepper. Soak 4.5 sheets of matzoh in water for 30 seconds, then crush into the egg mixture. Melt 3 T butter in the saucepan, add the egg and mushroom mixture. Cook until preferred doneness. Stir in 1/4 cup chopped parsley.

2 comments:

rachel said...

oh I love semi-soggy crackers! Really! I think I'd like this and matzoh ought to go on major sale in a week or so now that passover's over. I put stale chipotle cornbread in scrambled eggs a few weeks ago and it was pretty good. If you like that sort of thing, haha.

rachel said...

as predicted, matzoh have gone on sale! I shall report on my version of the recipe...