Sunday, March 15

Carrot Salad with Currants and Almonds

Vegetable Love Vegetables delicious, alone or with pasta, seafood, poultry, meat and more by Barbara Kafka
Cookbook 11, Recipe 2, (Total 25)

I purchased a 2 lb bag of carrots on Wednesday to make carrot sticks for a vegetable platter this weekend. I'm not a big chomp on raw carrot fan and didn't want to waste the other 1.5 lbs so I chose a carrot recipe.

Did I like it? It was nicely balanced with tangy and sweet flavors. It's more a of a sidekick than a main dish, tonight it played sidekick to a BLT. We both thought it should have poppy seeds added.

Recipe:
Combine 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1/4 tsp salt and bring to a boil. Pour over 1/2 cup currants and leave for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, grate 1 lb carrots (using that handy scale I bought you for Christmas) and place in a bowl with a handful of chopped almonds. Drain the currants (keeping the liquid) and add to carrot mixture. To the drained liquid add 1/2 cup yogurt (plain) and 1 T honey. Pour over carrots, mix and serve.

Recently I discovered I often use the word currant instead of current... Now that I pay attention to this, I'm embarrassed how many times I have to stop and think - OK not the dried fruit...

No comments: