Sunday, March 8

Star Anise-Glazed Tempeh with stir-fried peppers

Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen, by Deborah Madison
Cookbook 10, Recipe 2 (Total 23)

It's been an extremely busy week. I actually made this on Wednesday and am finally posting it on Sunday. I chose this recipe because I would like to learn how to cook with Tempeh. I'm comfortable with setain but not Tempeh.

Did I like it? It was a good stir fry. The cabbage doesn't really cook through, it stays crunchy. I think I would rather have tofu or setain. This was a night that I normally would have thrown something frozen in the oven or cooked ramen. I knew my other nights were going to be busy so I cooked anyway. After cleaning on Thursday Stephen happened to mention that "cabbage really sticks" - there wasn't many areas of the kitchen that didn't end up with cabbage.

Recipe:
Place in a saucepan and bring to a boil: 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 mirin, 2 T brown sugar, 1 T maple syrup, 1 3inch piece of cinnamon and 2 star anise. Boil for 4-5 minutes, turn off the heat and add 1 pkg tempeh cut into desired size. Let soak four minutes on each side.

Heat a wok and add 2 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp sesame oil, add tempeh and cook until browned, add a few T of the marinade and cook until it's evaporated and glazed the tempeh. Wipe out the wok and add 2 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp sesame oil. Add 1 chopped garlic clove, 1 T chopped ginger and 6 chopped scallions - cook 1 minute. Add 1 small shredded red cabbage, 1 green pepper sliced, 1 yellow pepper sliced, salt and pepper, cook until softened - about 10 minutes. Add the remaining marinade and cook an additional 5 minutes. Serve over rice.

No comments: