Wednesday, August 12

Rice Salad with Cherry Tomatoes, Parmesan, Peas, and Prosciutto

Italian Classics by the editors of COOKS's ILLUSTRATED magazine
Cookbook 34, Recipe 1, (Total 70)

I started cooking the rice for this recipe at 10:00pm last night. I mention this because I totally screwed it up. Oh well. I just cooked the rice like I normally do: 2 cups water with 1 cup rice - boil - cover - reduce heat - cook 12 minutes. I was supposed to toast the rice and cook it in less water. I'll give you the directions for the method I used - I recommend following the book.

Did I like it? I don't use balsamic vinegar very much but I appreciate it on the occasions that I do taste it. All in all it was OK - I think cooking the rice the suggested way would have resulted in a vastly superior product.

Recipe: Cook one cup of rice and set aside to cool. In a bowl combine: 2 T olive oil, 1 T balsamic vinegar, 1 chopped clove of garlic, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ground pepper. Add to this the cooled rice (mine was added warm resulting in a gooey mess:( To this add: 1/2 cup frozen peas, 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes, 1 oz chopped prosciutto, 1/4 grated pecorino (I couldn't find parm in the grocery store last night!) and 1/4 cup chopped basil. Refrigerate and eat for lunch.

No comments: