Wednesday, August 26

Badam Gosht (Lamb with Almonds)

The Turmeric Trail Recipes and Memories From an Indian Childhood by Raghavan Iyer
Cookbook 36, Recipe 2 (Total 75)

I was thwarted throughout the cooking of this recipe:
I couldn't find my whole cloves - I used ground
I couldn't find a red onion - I used white
No water was releasing from the lamb - I added 1/2 a cup
My food processor was broken - I used a coffee grinder which mangled things badly.

Did I like it? It still turned out well despite the substitutions and adjustments from the recipe. The sauce nicely accents the meat.

Recipe: Heat 2T of oil in a pan. Add 1 tsp cumin and cook for 15 seconds. Grind together: 1/2 cup onion, 4 cloves, 1/2 tsp black pepper, and 1/2 tsp ground cloves. Add to the cumin and cook for 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup ground blanched almonds and cook until golden brown. Add 1 lb lamb cut into 1 inch cubes. Recipe then says to cook until it all water that the lamb released is evaporated. (My lamb did not give any water. I cooked the lamb for about 5 minutes - until the sauce looked like it would burn. Then I added 1/3 cup water and cooked until the pan was dry again.) Add 1/2 cup half and half, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp garam masaala. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

No comments: