Wednesday, August 5

Bass with Zucchini and Toasty Garlic Mojo

Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless
Cookbook 33, Recipe 1 (Total 68)

Dyanna & Jason gave Stephen & I this book for Christmas - it's even signed by Mr Bayless and addressed to us!

Uncle Dale took Stephen & I on a full day of fishing this past Saturday. We are now officially known as "The Swim Team". Stephen promptly dumped me in the river by flipping the canoe as he got in at the start of the fishing trip. I was extremely successful (thanks to uncle dale) on my first real fishing trip. My catches that we kept were: 3 small mouth bass, 1 northern and 1 catfish. The northern was caught beneath an eagles nest with two eagle babies watching. Yes - I hooked my own worms and released my own fish. No - I did not clean the fish - Uncle Dale did that.

Did I like it? Yes - It was very easy to make and tasted great. I've decided I like fresh caught fish, they taste leagues better than anything store bought.

Recipe: In a large skillet heat up 1/3 cup olive oil. Add 8 cloves of peeled, halved garlic and cook until lightly browned. Remove garlic and puree with 2/3 cup chicken stock and 1/2 tsp salt. Using the same olive oil cook 1 lb of fresh caught bass from the Cloquet River until done and remove to a warming plate in a 175 degree oven. To the oil add 1 lb of chopped zucchini and cook until just browned. Add the garlic sauce and 1/2 cup chopped parsley (cilantro if you like it) and bring to a boil. Place the fish on a plate and top with sauce and zucchini.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice job! I never would be able to rip worms apart

D PHud said...

Glad you tried out the cookbook, although I question your decision to go for a zucchini recipe!

Last night for dinner I made enchiladas from the same cookbook. They were really good and looked so pretty! The enchilada sauce had fresh tomatillos, jalapeƱos, garlic, and cilantro. So it was a lovely bright green before cooking and a nice mellow green after cooking. Overall, I would say that the recipe was a big success.

Did you see that Rick won Top Chef Masters?