Thursday, August 13

Parmesan Risotto

Italian Classics by the editors of COOKS's ILLUSTRATED magazine
Cookbook 34, Recipe 2, (Total 71)

When I started this project I decided it would be a good time to try cooking risotto. It wasn't has hard as I thought - in fact it was pretty darn easy. I've read cookbooks that call for stirring five rotations to the right, then five rotations to the left, back five rotations to the right etc. That I will not do. This recipe took about 45 minutes start to finish.

Did I like it? I'd say it was tasty and cooked correctly. A nice slice of pork roast on the side would have completed the meal.

Recipe:Heat 3 cup water and 3.5 cups chicken stock in a pot and keep at a simmer.

Finely dice one onion and saute it with 1/2 tsp salt in 4 T of butter that has been heated until it stops foaming. Cook until the onion is very soft. Add 2 c Arborio rice and cook until the edges are translucent. Add 1 cup of Chardonnay and cook until it is fully absorbed. Add 3 cups of the heated water/stock and stir every couple of minutes until it is fully absorbed. Add 1/2 cup of the liquid and cook until absorbed - repeat until the liquid is gone. Stir in 1 cup grated pecorino and serve.

No comments: