Saturday, August 15

Poached Pear Salad with Walnut Vinaigrette

The Spirited Vegetarian Over 100 Recipes Made Lively with Wine and Spirits by Paulette Mitchell
Cookbook 35, Recipe 1 (Total 72)

We purchased some lovely pears from the farmers market this morning and I wanted to find a non-dessert recipe feature them. About a month ago I made a current infused vodka which I used today in place of the Creme de Cassis with excellent results - smile.

Did I like it? While eating this I asked myself:
Why did I choose a recipe with blue cheese and walnuts when I know I don't like them and why after choosing this recipe featuring ingredients I don't like, did I not wait to make it when Stephen would be home to enjoy it (he likes blue cheese and walnuts)? This recipe features a very classic pairing of ingredients. It should taste wonderful and does if you like the taste of blue cheese and walnuts. I ate four bites with them and then picked them out. The pears are absolutely delicious! The vinaigrette stayed emulsified and coated the leaves perfectly. An excellent recipe if you leave out the offending cheese and walnuts. Also - the coating of the walnuts does not add anything to their taste - neither sweet nor salt - don't bother.

The recipe called for walnut oil which is extremely pricey - I used olive oil instead. I also discovered that I did not have any red wine vinegar. In looking through my stash of ingredients I found a cassis vinegar that Rachel gave me - it worked out perfectly!

Recipe:
(don't bother with this part) Melt 1 T butter in a pan and add 1T corn syrup, 1 tsp water and 1/4 tsp salt. Bring to a boil and then add 1 cup of walnuts - stir to coat. Bake the walnuts at 250 for 1 hour stirring occasionally.

Heat together 1 cup creme de cassis, 1 cup Shiraz, zest of 1 lemon, 2T lemon juice, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes. Add six small peeled pears and simmer for 15 minutes or until just softened. Remove the pears and continue to simmer the liquid until syrupy.

For the dressing: Whisk together 2T olive oil, 2 cassis vinegar, 1/2 tsp dijon mustard, 1/2 tsp brown sugar and two pinches of salt. Dress some spinach (I used about 2.5 tsp to a cup of spinach). Top with blue cheese, walnuts, and a poached pear.

3 comments:

stitching price list said...

The recipe called for walnut oil which is extremely pricey - I used olive oil instead. I also discovered that I did not have any red wine vinegar. In looking through my stash of ingredients I found a cassis vinegar that Rachel gave me - it worked out perfectly! salwar suit piece wholesale , cotton printed salwar suits wholesale ,

rotoath said...

Sourcethis page this websitelook what i found great post to readwebsite link

pita said...

b0e99v6j27 h3x85o7y78 o4p96l5b94 t6t38k3p75 o9r83a4b13 z1w94i6o33