Monday, August 24

Besan Mirch Subzi (Assorted Bell Peppers with Roasted Garbanzo Bean Flour)

The Turmeric Trail Recipes and Memories From an Indian Childhood by Raghavan Iyer
Cookbook 36, Recipe 1 (Total 74)

Once again, my recipe choice was dictated by the produce I purchased at the Farmers Market this weekend. The red peppers looked fabulous but needed to be used as soon as possible. We also canned 22 jars of tomatoes this weekend - Wee Hoo! I believe I've only purchased 2 cans of tomatoes in the past four years.

Did I like it? Again, I am surprised to say yes. The recipe is weird - throw in toasted flour and then stir in water (to form a mush?). As the commentary stated - the flour forms "delectable clumps" around the peppers. I also decreased the cayenne from 1/2 tsp to 1/4 tsp knowing that I didn't want much pain in my mouth this evening.

Recipe: In a large skillet brown over medium-low heat 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour, also called chickpea flour. This will take about 6 minutes. Remove from the pan and heat 2T oil. Add 1tsp cumin and cook for 15 seconds. Add 1 lb peppers chopped into one inch hunks. Cook until the peppers are blistered. Add the reserved flour, 1T salt, 1/4 tsp cayenne, and 2T chopped parsley. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup water.

1 comment:

Eppie said...

This is a neat recipe, I bought some chickpea flour a while ago to try some chickpea crepe type things, but they didn't work at all, but now i can try this.