Saturday, September 12

Tomato and Olive Salad from the Lazio (Insalta di Pomodori e Olive Nere)

Twelve Months of Monastery Salads 200 Divine Recipes for all Seasons by Brother Victor-Antoine D'Avila-Latourrette
Cookbook 38, Recipe 1 (Total 78)

Eppie and Matt's cake and wedding took over the last Wednesday - Monday. WeeHoo - Congratulations Eppie & Matt!

I've been saving this cookbook for late summer salads. I purchased a bunch of veggies today and came home to see what I could put together with this cookbook.

Did I like it? It tasted like a classic tomato salad. I'm beginning to appreciate the taste of olives - for the moment I would only include two - five was a little too many for me.

Recipe: Place slices of a heirloom tomato on a plate. Top with slices of fresh mozzarella and thin slices of red onion. Top with 2-5 olives and garnish with finely chopped basil. In a bowl combine 2 T olive oil and 1 T red wine vinegar with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle on the salad to taste.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

two olives is better than no olives - yum, I want to eat it! And nice pictures, Tabitha! (mom)

Eppie said...

Thanks for the wonderful wedding cake Tabitha! We ate the leftover cake our first two nights in door county. Delicious!