Monday, September 28

Magret de Canard au Porto (Seared Magret of Duck in a Sweet Port Sauce)

Paris in a Basket Markets - The Food and the People by Nicolle Aimee Meyer & Amanda Pilar Smith
Cookbook 41, Recipe 1 (total 84)

There is a farmer at the Farmers Market who will butcher a duck for you with a day's notice. The Saturday before last I stopped by their stall and ordered one for the next week. When I went to pick it up this past Saturday and told the son (about 11 years old) I was there to pick up my duck - he responded with "quack quack quack I like to make duck noises". There's a reason I like ordering duck from them.

A recipe for next week requires a 5 day brining of duck legs, I started that brine today and had the rest of the duck left to work with. This recipe uses up the breasts so I'm now left with skin to render the fat from and bones to make a stock with. Wee Hoo!

Did I like it? Absolutely Delicious! Tender and Crispy! One of the best duck breast entrees I've ever eaten and it's soo easy! I'll try to tone down the !'s now.

Recipe: Simmer 1/4 cup port with 1/4 cup golden raisins for 10 minutes. Heat a heavy bottomed sauce pan over high heat. Add two duck breasts (with the skin scored) skin side down and don't move them for 8 minutes. Baste with rendered fat from time to time and spoon off the excess into a bowl as they cook. Flip and cook for 1 minute on the other side. Remove to foil and season with salt and pepper. Add 8 thin apple slices to the pan and cook for 30 seconds on each side - remove to two plates. Deglaze the pan with 3/4 cup port and bring to a boil. Add the reserved port/raisin mixture and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove the duck from the foil and cut into slices and place on the sliced apples. Spoon some port sauce on top and serve with mashed potatoes. YUM!

No comments: