Saturday, September 19

Provencal Vegetable Soup (Soupe Au Pistou)

Barefoot in Paris Easy French Food You Can Make at Home by Ina Garten
Cookbook 39, Recipe 1 (Total 80)

This past weeks posting are delayed due to a busy week. Hopefully it won't become a habit - I try to post the same day I cook.

After bringing our farmers market haul home last Saturday I looked through the remaining cookbooks to find one that would use more than one vegetable. This recipe used up five! I ate this for dinner on Sunday, lunch on Monday, dinner on Monday, lunch on Tuesday and then tossed the remaining out - I recommend making half or a fourth of the recipe.

Did I like it? If consumed within the first two hours it's great. The noodles got bloated after that and it's not as pleasant. Homemade chicken stock will make or break this recipe.

Recipe: Heat 2T of oil in a large pot and add 2 cups chopped onion and cook over low heat until translucent. Turn the heat up to medium and add 2 cups chopped leeks, 3 cups chopped potatoes, 3 cups chopped carrots, 1.5 T kosher salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 5 minutes and then add 3 quarts chicken stock. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add 1/2 lb chopped green beans and 4 oz spaghetti broken into 2 inch lengths. Simmer for 15 minutes. Serve and add pistou to taste. (The recipe also called for 1 tsp saffron threads - I really dislike saffron in soup so I left it out - add it with the green beans if you would like).

Pistou: Puree 4 garlic cloves, 1/4 cup tomato paste, 24 large basil leaves, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup olive oil.

No comments: