Sunday, June 28

OrzoSalad with Lemon, Mint, and Ricotta Salata

The Dean & Deluca Cookbook by David Rosengarten
Cookbook 28, Recipe 1, (Total 58)

For some reason or another I decided to pick up a bunch of orzo at the co-op. While putting it away in the cupboard I realized that that I already had a bunch at home. So I looked through my cookbooks for a recipe with orzo.

I also enjoy cold salads with ricotta salata (a slightly salty, grainy, yet soft cheese). It's one of those rare cheeses that does not melt - funny that it's usually used in cold salads.

Did I like it? It was very pleasant. A classic Italian type salad - with a little too much olive oil - I would increase the recipes veggies by 100% and add more herbs.

Recipe:
Combine: 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/3 cup chopped shallot, 2 T lemon juice, 1 finely chopped garlic clove, zest of 1/2 a lemon, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste. Let this mixture sit while you cook 1 cup of orzo (boil for aprox 6 minutes). Drain orzo run under cold water and add to the olive oil. To this mixture add 1/2 cup each chopped orange pepper, cucumber and ricotta salata and a large handful of chopped mint.

No comments: