Thursday, June 11

The Best Banana Cream Pie

American Brasserie 180 Simple, robust Recipes Inspired by the Rustic Foods of France, Italy, and America by Rick Tramonto and Gale Gand with Julia Moskin
Cookbook 25, Recipe 1, Total 52

Stephen makes me a birthday cake every year. Since I've been thinking about this pie since January I requested this instead of a cake. This will probably be the only recipe I post that I didn't cook myself.

Did I like it? It tasted great. Unfortunately it didn't hold together very well. With 1/2 cup of cornstarch and 12 egg yolks - it should have stood on its own no matter what. We don't agree on why it didn't work out. Either way I was asleep at 10:45 last night due to an incredibly delicious birthday night out when he made the filling so I can hardly assign the blame:) We celebrated with Mom and Sarah this evening with the pie.

Recipe:
Crust: Mix together 4.5 cups flour, 2 tsp salt and 2 tsp sugar. Cut in 1.5 cups butter. Mix 1/2 cup cold water with 2 tsp red wine vinegar and add to flour to form a dough. Rest for 30 minutes. Divide in half. Blind bake one pie crust at 375 for 25 minutes, remove the foil and bake for 10 more minutes. Cool. Use remaining dough for something else.

Filling: Combine 4 cups whole milk, 1/4 tsp salt, and one vanilla bean in a pan. Bring to a boil and then steep. Whisk together 12 egg yolks with 1 1/3 cups sugar until light and frothy. Whisk in 1/2 cup cornstarch. Pour the egg yolks into the milk and bring to a boil whisking constantly. Boil for about 3 minutes. Stir in 3T butter and 3 sliced banana's. Pour until pie shell and refrigerate overnight. Top with whipped cream.

(For breakfast make an egg yolk scramble)

No comments: