Thursday, July 2

Middle Eastern Red Lentil Soup with Yogurt and Lemon

The Dean & Deluca Cookbook by David Rosengarten
Cookbook 28, Recipe 2, (Total 59)

This cookbook is an enigma to me. I can look through it for an hour and find recipes I'm interested in making, but have absolutely no desire to follow through. It's partially why I included this cookbook in my set cook from.

Did I like it? It was OK. Ultimately red lentils are better for dips than soups. This recipe was a little to close to pea soup - something I can't stand. I love du puy lentils (little french green ones).

Recipe:
In a large pot heat 1 T oil. Add 1 chopped onion, 1.5 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp mustard powder and 1/2 tsp ground ginger. Cook until onions are slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Add 5 cups of water, 1 1/3 cups red lentils, 3 strips of lemon peel, and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil and then simmer, covered for 15 minutes. Serve with 1/2 cup yogurt mixed with juice of 1/2 a lemon.

No comments: