Monday, June 15

A Spring Tonic

Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen, by Deborah Madison
Cookbook 26, Recipe 1, (Total 54)

I found nettles for sale at Mississippi Market on Sunday. I've never tried them and they were cheep so picked up the two remaining packages. This recipe was the only one that called for nettles in my remaining 27 cookbooks.

Did i like it? It was surprisingly delicious. When I asked Stephen his opinion he replied "For how healthy it is, I give it an A+. I wouldn't crave it in the middle of the night but it's very tasty". I would agree.

The way the recipe is written - it leaves a lot of room for whatever you might have. I couldn't find sorrel so I used spinach and squeezed a whole lemon in the soup at the end. I didn't have carrot or radish tops but I had Kohlrabi tops so I used those.

Recipe:
In a bowl combine: 1 medium potato peeled and finely chopped, 2 carrots peeled and finely chopped, 1 yellow onion finely chopped, 5 cloves of garlic smashed and chopped, a nice handful of parsley chopped, and three pinches of Herbs de provence (I didn't have thyme so I had to substitute).

In another bowl combine: A large handful of watercress (at least 1/2 cup), 2 cups chopped swiss chard leaves, 2 cups blanched nettles chopped, 2 cups spinach chopped, about 1/4 cup kohlrabi leaves chopped, and a small handful of dill chopped.

Heat 1 T oil in a pan. Add the contents of the first bowl and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the greens and cook until they are thoroughly wilted. Add 1.5 tsp salt and 2 quarts of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20-30 minutes - until carrots and potatoes are done. Puree. Taste for salt and pepper. Squeeze the juice of a whole lemon into the soup. Serve with sage flowers from your garden (my chive blossoms are now dead).

No comments: