Sunday, February 22

Zanzibar Coffee

Where Flavor was Born Recipes and Culinary Travels Along the Indian Ocean Spice Route by Andreas Viestad
Cookbook 8, Recipe 3 (Total 19)

I'm always up for trying new beverages. I happened to have Yemen Mokha coffee beans from a local roster so I used them - I thought Yemen was closer to Zanzibar than it is. Stephen looked it up and said it's about the same distance from Madison to Vancouver... Not exactly close - Oh Well.

Did I like it? Absolutely. It's nicer than the Turkish plain or (heaven forbid!) rosewater boiled coffee. The ginger added at the end is what really made it interesting. It reminded me of hot chocolate spiced with ancho chili's. This coffee gets that punch from ginger and cinnamon.

Recipe
Bring to a boil 2 cups of water with 4 slightly crushed cardamom pods and 2/3 inch piece of cinnamon. Lower heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Add 1/4 cup coarse ground coffee and bring to a boil. Turn off heat long enough for the grounds to settle. Bring to a boil again and let settle again. Repeat again. Add 3 tsp sugar and 1 tsp dried ground ginger. Pour into four cups. Drink when the grounds have settled.

It's always fun to flip the cup upside down when finished. Some day I'll learn to read grounds.

4 comments:

Eppie said...

Yum, sounds great, lovely cup and saucer too! I had turkish coffee at a Lebanese place the other day, so tasty

Eppie said...

Yum, sounds great, lovely cup and saucer too! I had turkish coffee at a Lebanese place the other day, so tasty

Unknown said...

Hi, I've had the pleasure of being to Zanzibar last week and had the spiced coffee there. It was delicious!!! I'm trying it this weekend

Unknown said...

spiced coffee in Zanzibar delicious as well as the bbq octopus in Stone Town