Thursday, February 12

Lobster and Chestnut Croquettes

Tapas With 50 New Recipes, an Updated Edition of the Classic Book That Introduced America to Tapas, by Penelope Casas
Cookbook 7 Recipe 1 (Total 14)

Happy Birthday to Stephen Part 1 I cooked three Tapas for Stephen's birthday yesterday. He had class and didn't get home until 9:20 so I had from 6:00-9:00 to cook:) I chose this cookbook because Stephen's sister and her husband gave it to me for my birthday last year - a fitting cookbook to use for Stephen's Birthday this year.

Did I like it? Yes! Next time I would substitute minced shrimp for the lobster and shredded Tetilla cheese for the chestnuts. Then they would taste just like the croquettes I love at Solera - which by the way do not taste strongly of shrimp - probably why I like it. The batter reminded me of cream puff (pate a choix).

I've never cooked lobster before so when the recipe said simmer until cooked through I didn't know how long that was... I ended up taking it off way too soon and adding it back in.

For Dyanna & Jason's benefit this recipe can be found on page 182.

Recipe:
Place a small lobster tail in salted water to cover and boil till

Roast 6 caned chestnuts in the oven for 8-10 minutes - then mince.

Place lobster tail in water to cover, add salt and bring to a boil. Boil about 8 minutes until the flesh is opaque. Remove lobster, separate meat from shell. Place the shell back in the water and boil for 10 more minutes. Chop the lobster meat up.

Meanwhile, heat 4 T olive oil over high heat and add 6 T flour, cook 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 cup dry white wine, 1/4 cup water from boiling lobster, pinch salt and pepper. Cook until thick - about 1 minute. Add chestnuts and lobster and cook for 1 more minute.

Spread mixture out onto a plate and refrigerate until firm. Roll into 1 inch balls. Roll balls in to beaten egg, followed by panko crumbs. Place back in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Fry in 365 peanut oil for 2 minutes. Keep in a 200 oven until ready to serve (30 minutes max).

No comments: