Sunday, February 22

Macaroni Cheese

new food fast by Donna Hay
Cookbook 9, Recipe 1 (Total 20)

I have a number of Donna Hay cookbooks. I chose this cookbook today because I screwed up getting ingredients for a different recipe in a different cookbook. Not wanting to go to the grocery store again, I decided to see if I could make something out of what's in the house using new food fast.

I like to eat lunch while reading in the sun on my living room floor on Sunday's.

Did I like it? Yes - but you must eat it right away. This is one of those pasta recipes that separates when left alone after cooking. I've noticed French cookbooks tend to have a cream mustard sauce for pasta. This recipe is a slimmer version of that using just a couple of tablespoons - more of a slight coating than a sauce.

The recipe format was a paragraph - basically cook some pasta, drain, add cream, mustard and black pepper to the pan and return the pasta to the pan as well, cook for 2 minutes, add parsley, plate, sprinkle on cheese, bake and serve.

My version:
Bring salted water to a boil and add 4 oz Mostaccioli (about 1 1/2 cups) - cook 9 minutes, drain. In the same pan add 2 T cream, 1 tsp mustard - Cook 1 minute, add 1/4 cup chopped dill and place in oven proof bowls. Top with a mixture of Parmesan and cheddar to equal 1 oz. Bake at 400 for 8 minutes.

No comments: