Sunday, February 1

Punjabi Split Chickpeas and Lamb Curry

1,000 Indian Recipes by Neelam Batra
Cookbook 5, Recipe 2 (Total 11)

You may have noticed that I have a lot of lamb meat from Bob Otis. We purchased 1/2 a lamb from him in October and have been slowly working our way though it. Occasionally we purchase some chicken or pork but mostly if we eat meat it's lamb at the moment. I still have two packages of stew meat left and choose this recipe to use one up. The recipe calls for 1 lb boneless leg of lamb - stew meat is great. I like to save my roasts for roasting.

Also - since I canned tomatoes again this summer I like to use them in place of fresh during the winter. I can them whole and then simply open a jar and use 1.5 tomatoes to what the recipe calls for.

Did I like it? Yes sir. The black cardamom smokiness and the lemon juice combine for a flavor not generally found in american cuisine - it took a couple of bites to warm up to. Stephen and I both were expecting a creamy dish, something on the order of split pea soup. The peas were pleasantly toothsome (I can't think of a better way to say firm but not dry).

How to cook this dish...
Soak 1/2 cup split yellow peas in water (to cover by 2 inches) for 1 hour.

Heat 2 T oil in a pan, add 4 black cardamom pods (crushed just slightly) and 1 inch of cinnamon. Cook for aprox 30 seconds. Add one chopped onion and cook until browned - about 5 minutes. Stir in: 1 T minced ginger, 1 crushed clove of garlic, 1/2 a minced jalapeno, 1 Tablespoon ground coriander, 1 tsp garam masala, and 1/4 tsp turmeric. Add 1 lb lamb stew meat from Mr Bob Otis, and cook until browned - 15-20 minutes. Add drained peas and cook 5 minutes. Add 3 cups of water, cover and cook 30 minutes. Add 3 chopped canned tomatoes, 2 T lemon juice and 1/2 cup chopped parsley - cook 10 minutes.

2 comments:

Eppie said...

That sounds great, I have never bought black cardomon, is it replacable or no?

Tabitha said...

Unfortunately there's no good substitute. It has the smokey quality of a chipotle with out the heat and the pepperness of a cross between cardamom and black pepper.

Stephen say's he would roast green cardamom but I disagree - it's a different type of cardamom and you still would not get that smokey quality.

I don't follow the one year rule on my black cardamom - I’ve probably had mine for over 2 years - it's still good and I don't use it often enough to want to purchase it new every year.