Saturday, November 10

White Yam Ravoli


On Friday Stephen & I made up a white yam ravioli with a mushroom, sage cream sauce. The yam took a solid hour and a half to bake. To make the filling we mixed it with ricotta, nutmeg, salt and pepper. The sauce was shallots, mushrooms, sage, paprika, salt and cream. The texture of the filling was not smooth and made for a nice contrast to the cream and soft mushroom sauce. It was surprisingly yummy.

Tonight I made a yummy "old fashioned cinnamon sugar cookie". I think it's called old fashioned since the batter is made with sour cream - very similar to a hermit cookie without the fruit. Simple and delicious.

4 comments:

Eppie said...

looks tasty! I was going to make some squash ravioli the other day and brought stuff to the bakery to use their counter space, but alas, my squash had gone bad!

Question about cookies... I want to make cookies for coworkers for christmas, but my manager at the bakery is lactose intolerant and his wife is allergic to potato starch. Is there any cookie I can make with no potato starch or lactose?

rachel said...

Yeah, that looks like a great idea and lord knows I have a load of white yams. They aren't soo very sweet as red garnet sweet potatoes or the like. I make ravioli out of won ton wrappers- man, what a cheat.

cookies- no problem Epp. You could do peanut butter cookies, or any cookie with margarine (earth balance is less worse). Is potato starch in any cookie?

Do white chocolate chip dried cherry from the oatmeal raisin Cooks Illustrated book! Add hazelnuts! it'll cost a jillion bucks but be real festive.

rachel said...

I meant use the recipe for oatmeal raisin cookies from The Best Recipe but sub the chips, cherries, and add hazelnuts...

Eppie said...

thanks rach, i like the white chocolate cherry cookie idea!