Sunday, November 4

A Day of Cooking & Baking




It's been busy lately and I haven't had much energy for cooking. Today I made up for it. I made buttermilk pancakes (Martha Stewart recipe of course) for lunch and Chicken and Dumplings for dinner . While Dads Chicken and Dumplings are still great I now prefer my method.

Chicken and Dumplings my way. Skin the chicken and cut into six pieces (two legs, two wings and cut the chest cavity in half). Boil in water for approximately 20 minutes - until the meat is done. Take the meat off the bones and through the bones back into boil for at least another 30 minutes. Strain the stock and add a whole celery bunch cut up and a good portion of a 5lb bag of carrots thinly sliced and the chicken meat. Boil for only 15 minutes. Add dumplings on top cover and simmer 15 minutes. With this method nothing is mushy and the chicken is not stringy.

I've been craving homemade bread so I baked a loaf of Oatmeal bread. My refrigerator is also full of apples so I made two loaf pans of Brandied Apple Spice Cake - tiz yummy. Also I started on the gingerbread houses for my friends to decorate at Fun Day - you can see the pictures. I finished 10 roofs and 10 front and backs - no side walls yet - later.

After visiting mom yesterday we dropped Sarah off at work. I wanted to buy a loaf of bread from her and settled on the Finish Sourdough Rye. She couldn't cut it for me because it would bread the machine! It weighted 3 lbs! Anyway after smelling it in the car I decided it needed some dill havarti and turkey just like open face rye sandwiches at Twig Church Potluck - it was a fun diversion.

1 comment:

rachel said...

Yep, I do it a bit differently too. I do the chicken like you- and maybe undercook it a bit because I know it'll cook through when I add it back. I cook the bones to make stock, strain it, add the veggies and simmer til soft, and then add the chicken meat and dumpling drops.

What's your favorite dumpling recipe?? I never know which to use.