Sunday, November 4

Fuyu Persimmons


They're not bad! In fact, they're pretty tasty.

I have a fruit CSA for the winter- it's not locally grown but it is a random selection of in-season fruit from around the country grown on small farms. This week was my first installment and I got some local luscious pears, Valencia oranges, avocados, apples, (pink lady variety- which I'd never had because I don't buy apples in the store, but they're good!) and persimmons.

I wasn't too excited about the persimmons but after reading up on the variety- Fuyu, I found they are supposed to be eaten while still firm. Hachiya persimmons are eaten "when they feel like a water balloon" and I'm pretty sure that's what we had as kids. These Fuyus are good! The texture is pleasant, the flavor is good, and they are very pretty. I ate half of one straight and then I pureed the other half and used it to try and fix my experiment from yesterday- a macaroon type cookie made from cooked wild rice. It's not been a raging success but oh well... I'm happy to discover that Fuyu persimmons are pretty good.

3 comments:

Tabitha said...

I still can't stomach persimmons- Stephen buys them and I turn away. When the feel like water ballons is definately what we had...

Why wild rice in your macaroons?

rachel said...

wellll... this isn't something I normally do, but I was trying to make a whole grain fruit and nut cookie that was chewy and substantial without much sugar or butter. A snack really. I wanted something to take on my plane trip that I could just keep eating for my 7 hours of travel.

It actually worked well for that- they were moist, not too sweet, hearty, and I ate a bunch of em! I also took along pita bread and fruit. It's the only thing I ate Monday.

Eppie said...

those macaroons sound pretty neat. if you modified them to be savory instead of a cookie, it would be tasty with pea soup or something