Wednesday, July 8

Pretty Egg Salad Ring

Mrs. Chard's Almanac Cookbook, Hollyhocks & Radishes A unique look at a little known corner of America, Michigan's beautiful Upper Peninsula, where the simple values of life...family, friends, the good earth and the good food it produces...still abide. by Bonnie Stewart Mickelson
Cookbook 29, Recipe 2 (Total 61)

Those of you who have spent more time with me than is good for your health know that I have a fascination with 50's jello molds, especially the "savory" ones that contain whole eggs and hot dogs. When I came across this recipe - I had to try and finally experience a chunky savory gelatin mold.

Did I like it? It tasted like the filling of an egg salad sandwich only not as good. I would add about a tablespoon of mustard to the recipe (although I'm not sure what that would do to the color) to add some more flavor and maybe chopped scallions. Ultimately I ended up mashing it up and eating it on a baguette.

Recipe: Stir 1 pgk of gelatin (1T) into 2 T cold water, add 1/4 cup hot water and stir to dissolve, set aside. In a bowl chop 6 hard boiled eggs with a pastry blender. Add: 3/4 cup mayo, 1/2 a chopped green pepper, 1/4 cup chopped parsley, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp mustard powder, and 1/4 tsp shallot salt. Add a couple drops of tabasco sauce to the gelatin mixture and add to the eggs. Pour into a mold and refrigerate for a minimum of three hours.

It called for a ring mold - I didn't have one so I used my terrine instead.