Saturday, July 4

Old-Time Doughnuts

Mrs. Chard's Almanac Cookbook, Hollyhocks & Radishes A unique look at a little known corner of America, Michigan's beautiful Upper Peninsula, where the simple values of life...family, friends, the good earth and the good food it produces...still abide. by Bonnie Stewart Mickelson
Cookbook 29, Recipe 1 (Total 60)

Is there better way to celebrate America than deep frying? I love doughnuts... I fry a batch about once or twice a year - usually timed to share with friends.

One of my favorite memories of Greatgrandma is of her her hugging an ice-cream bucket full of doughnuts. She made coffee immediately after I gave her the doughnuts, then visited while possessively hugging the bucket until the coffee was ready - then she shared. I don't think I made the best doughnuts back then but she seemed to love them.

Did I like it? I was pleasantly surprised at the lightness of these doughnuts. I don't usually make cake style doughnuts, opting instead for the lightness of yeast raised. The batter is so delicate that they turn out nicely textured doughnuts. A very nice product. I might add more nutmeg and maybe some cinnamon to the batter next time.

Recipe: With a wooden spoon beat 2.5 T soft butter with 1 cup of sugar. Beat in 2 eggs and 2 tsp vanilla. In a separate bowl combine, 3.5 cups flour, 1 tsp cream of tarter, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp nutmeg. Add to the egg mixture alternately with a mixture of 1/2 cup half and half and 1/2 cup milk. Mix with a cutting motion - not a stirring motion. When the dry ingredients are fully Incorporated dump the mixture onto a very well floured countertop - this is a very wet, sticky dough. Pat into a circle 1/2 inch thick. Fry, drain on a towel, drop in a bag with cinnamon sugar, dust off and then serve to the neighbors.

No comments: