Sunday, October 18

Buttermilk Biscuits

hallelujah! the welcome table A lifetime of memories with recipes by Maya Angelou
Cookbook 43, Recipe 2 (total 90)

This recipe was created with the help of all three sisters - Wee Hoo. Eppie & Matt gave me the cookbook, Sarah gave me the french rolling pin and Rachel gave me the copper cookie cutter. THANKS SISTERS (and brother-in-law)! The pastry blender was a bridal shower gift from one of the Aunts - I can't remember which one gave it to me. I baked these biscuits to accompany chili on Thursday.

Did I like it? While the Cooks Illustrated buttermilk biscuits are a little fluffier out of the oven, these biscuits remain tender the next day. I will definitely add these to my biscuit options. The recipe called for lard, not butter.

Recipe: Blend 4 cups flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 6 tsp baking powder and 1tsp baking soda together. With a pastry blender, cut in 1 cup of butter. Quickly stir in 2 cups of buttermilk and dump on to the counter. Quickly and lightly knead and roll out to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into biscuits and bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Serve with apple butter! Stephen, his brother Jon, and I ate an entire jar of apple butter with these - yum!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Creamed peas? when Stephen isn't eating
Sea