Sunday, October 18

Banana Pudding

hallelujah! the welcome table A lifetime of memories with recipes by Maya Angelou
Cookbook 43, Recipe 1 (total 89)

I'm a full week late in posting this recipe. I made this last Sunday.

Did I like it? This recipe tasted like it should have been a memory. My mother didn't make this for me as a kid - I'm betting many mothers did make it and their children would love this. Both Stephen and I found ourselves eating too much. The sugar drew me and then made me feel ill. I appreciate that this recipe uses the complete 8 eggs - yolks for the pudding and whites for the meringue.

Recipe: Combine 1/3 sugar, 1/3 cornstarch, a pinch of salt and 3 cups of whole milk in a pan. Cook until thick and boiling. Whisk a small amount into 8 beaten egg yolks, return this mixture to the pan and boil for another minute. Add 3T butter and 1 T vanilla extract. Set aside. In a 2 quart pan place 1.5 cups of vanilla wafers and 2 sliced bananas, top with 1/2 the pudding mixture. Repeat. Whisk the 8 egg whites into a meringue with 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 tsp cream of tarter. Top the pudding with the meringue and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Cool for 4 hours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmm sounds good to me :)
but i like snickers salad to.
SarahA