Tuesday, April 7

Spice Cake with Cardamom-Coffee Icing

Savoring The Seasons Of The Northern Heartland 200 Recipes Blending Bold, New Flavors With The Traditional Foods Of The Upper Midwest, by Beth Dooley and Lucia Watson
Cookbook 15, Recipe 1 (Total 32)

After spilling my entire cup coffee in the parking lot in the morning, tipping another entire cup of tea all over my desk in the afternoon, and breaking my last double walled cup in a spectacular crash resulting in broken glass all over the kitchen and living room floors in the evening - I was ready for a great piece of cake. I chose this recipe a long time ago because there is a picture of really cute 72 year old farmer man sifting flour for this recipe - preparing to enter it into the State Fair competition.

Did I like it? I love spice cakes and this one was no exception. Perfect with a cup of coffee or even red wine. It's unusual to find spice cake with black pepper. While I seriously enjoyed the cake - the frosting was un-savable. I could never get the coffee to cohere with the butter. Just don't try fake butter cream frosting - take the time to make an Italian meringue base - says I.

Recipe:
Beat together 1/2 cup of butter with 1 1/2 cups white sugar (I didn't have 1/2 cup b.sugar so I used an extra 1/2 cup of white) until fluffy. Beat in 2 eggs (one at a time) and 1 tsp vanilla.

Mix together 2 1/4 cups flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp cloves, 1/8 tsp pepper, and 1/4 tsp cardamom.

Alternately add the dry ingredients to the butter with 1 1/4 cups buttermilk.

Divide between two 8 inch greased and floured pans and cook at 350 for 30 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes.

3 comments:

rachel said...

hey tab, tonight I made black beans and the recipe (joy of cooking) called for 3/4 t of cardamom along with cumin and orange juice and sherry. It was mighty tasty, and a very unusual application for cardamom.

yanmaneee said...

birkin bag
jordan 12
supreme clothing
michael kors outlet online
lebron 10
coach factory outlet
cheap jordans
air max 90
coach outlet online
yeezy shoes

Unknown said...

cliquez ici maintenant répliques de sacs ysl site utile dolabuy.su Notre site https://www .dolabuy.co