Wednesday, April 8

Buckwheat Pancakes

Savoring The Seasons Of The Northern Heartland 200 Recipes Blending Bold, New Flavors With The Traditional Foods Of The Upper Midwest, by Beth Dooley and Lucia Watson
Cookbook 15, Recipe 2 (Total 33)

It's funny - I've never made buckwheat pancakes myself - while I've ordered them often over the past five years at our local breakfast restaurant. They've taken them off the menu and now I've discovered that mine are better.

Did I like it? Yum. I ate them with maple syrup for supper. I'll try some sort of a sandwich tomorrow for lunch with the leftover.

Recipe:
Whisk together: 1/2 cup buckwheat flour, 3/4 cup white flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 T sugar.

In another bowl combine: 2 cups buttermilk, 1 egg, 2 T canola oil.

Quickly whisk the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients - this should take more than 3 seconds to full incorporate the two mixtures. Cook.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sandwich? what kind

rachel said...

I'm gonna try this recipe tomorrow morning. I tried to make buckwheat pancakes a couple weeks ago but I think what I pulled out of the cupboard was not buckwheat flour. I think it was a multi-grain mix. Not the same. But now I found the buckwheat!