Saturday, April 18

Hot Cross Buns

Ladies' Home Journal Adventures in Cooking, by the Editors of Ladies' Home Journal (1968)
Cookbook 16, Recipe 1 (Total 34)

I misplaced my camera so it's taken me a while to post this recipe.

When I called Mom the Saturday evening to discuss Easter breakfast - she was just about purchase hot cross buns at cub foods - sacrilege! I started these buns at 7:00pm and finished after 11:00pm. It was worth it.

Did I like it? Yes, they were excellent. I used to hate these buns - I've grown into enjoying them.

Recipe:
Scald 3/4 cup milk and add 1 T sugar. Cool until warm. Proof 2.5 tsp yeast in 1/2 cup warm water with 1 tsp sugar. Combine the two mixtures with 1.5 cups flour. Cover and let rise about 30 hour - until bubbly.

To the proofed mixture add 1/4 cup soft butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 room temp egg, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp cloves, 1/2 cup currants. Beat in enough flour to make a good dough. Let rise until doubled.

Divide dough into 16 buns. Place 2 inches apart on two cookie sheets. Let rise until double about 45 minutes.

Slash an X into each bun. Beat 1 white with 1 tsp water. Brush over the buns and bake at 400 for 15 minutes.

1 comment:

rachel said...

Matt loved these too! He didn't realize "hot cross buns" were even a thing outside the children's song.