Monday, April 20

Curried Chickpea Tart with Fennel-Cauliflower Sauce

The Voluptuous Vegan, by Myra Kornfeld
Cookbook 17, Recipe 1, (Total 36)

I checked this book out of the St. Paul Public Library a number of years ago. I made the Gingerbread with Blood Orange Sauce (Did I mention that I love spice cakes). It was so fantastic that I also tried the Carrot Cake with Coconut-Cardamom Sauce. Keep in mind this is a vegan cookbook - no dairy. This is the only cookbook I recommend for vegan cakes.

I chose the chickpea tart because I've never made a main dish from this cookbook. They tend to be very involved recipes. It took two hours from the time I arrived home to have dinner on the table - not something I want to do everyday.

Did I like it. Absolutely. Stephen said "It's just fantastic!". The flavors are delicious, the texture is creamy and is just overall "fantastic"!

Recipe:
Chickpea Tart:
Combine in a blender - 3.5 cups of water with 1.5 cups of chickpea (garbanzo) flour and 3 T canola oil. Pour into a large pot and add another 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add 2 tsp salt. Cook for approximately 20 minutes, all the while maintaining a blurby bubbles - see picture below. Cook until it's thick enough to set up in the refrigerator.

Meanwhile, saute 1 large onion in 1 T oil until just beginning to brown, add 1/3 cup water and 1 T Penzeys sweet curry powder. Cook until water has evaporated. Add to chickpea batter and pour into a 9 inch tart pan. Refrigerate at least 45 minutes or up to two days.

Fennel-Cauliflower Sauce: Heat 4 tsp canola oil in a pot and add 2 T chickpea flour - cook until nice and browned - set aside.

Toast 2 tsp fennel seeds in a pan and then grind to a powder.

Heat 1 T oil, add 1 large minced onion and 1 medium thinly sliced bulb of fennel (discarding hard inner core) - saute until onions start to brown. Add ground fennel seeds and saute one more minute. Add 4 C water, 2 cups cauliflower florets and salt - bring to a boil. Remove 1/2 cup of liquid and whisk into the reserved chickpea/oil mixture - Add mixture into the pan and simmer, partially covered approximately 20 minutes - until the cauliflower is soft. Blend. Pour back into pan and add 1 T lemon juice and 1 T ginger juice and a nice pinch of cayenne.


While the sauce is in the simmering stage, remove the tart from the refrigerator and cut into 6 wedges. Place on a cookie sheet - brush with oil and bake at 350 for 20 minutes - until its heated through and has a crust. Serve with sauce.

3 comments:

rachel said...

I made this recipe once too- but it wasn't my thing. I wondered afterwards if my chickpea flour had gone rancid or something because it was just off. I messed with the idea a little more- I cut up the tart into squares, fried them, and put them on sandwiches with greens. That was pretty good, although they sucked up a lot of oil.

Tabitha said...

After I made this I noticed a number of recipes for "Chickpea Fries" - similar to what you describe.

Anonymous said...

hermesreplica bags neverfull fake hermes l9k75d8g86 replica bags thailand more information z2q38h2m57 louis vuitton fake 7a replica bags replica bags ru my explanation l1m13u8d88 replica prada nylon bags