Tuesday, January 6

Roasted Chile Poblano Rellenos

Foods of the Americas Native Recipes and Traditions by Fernando and Marlene Divina and the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian
Cookbook 2, Recipe 1



I purchased this cookbook a number of years ago at the Half Price in St. Louis Park. It's the only cookbook I've ever seen with the Smithsonian as a contributing author. The recipes are interspersed with photos from the Smithsonian collection as well as photos of artifacts.

A note about this recipe - I strongly disagree with recipes that call for baking/cooking an entire item only to use a fraction of it in the actual dish. This one called for an entire sweet potato to be baked and then only used 2 Tablespoons - sacrilege says I!

A note about dried chipotle - After chopping my dried chipotle I swept it from the cutting board into the dish with the back of my right hand. See photo below of me soaking my hand in cold milk. Just because its dry does not mean it can't burn skin...oops...

Did I like it? Stephen and I both described the filling as Fun. Half way through our respective chile's we ran for milk...I would use the filling, minus the whole dried chipotle, to stuff plain old green peppers.

Recipe
Roast 4 poblano chilis over fire until they are black, place in plastic bag for five minutes, rub all the black skin off. Cut a slit the length of the chile and stuff with filling. Roast covered with foil for 30 minutes at 400.

Filling - mix all ingredients:
2 T currants, plumped and drained
1/2 cup roasted sweet potato in 1/4 in dice (or there abouts)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup grated Pleasant Ridge Reserve (recipe called for Gouda)
1 chipolte minced (disregard!)
1/2 tsp adobo sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
3/4 cup ricotta salata (recipe called for queso fresco or ricotta cheese, I thought ricotta salata to be a better substitute)

I will now go fill up on brownies that just came out of the oven - Wee Hoo!

No comments: