Thursday, January 8

Pork (Lamb actually) in Oaxacan Mole Verde

Foods of the Americas Native Recipes and Traditions by Fernando and Marlene Divina and the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian.
Cookbook 2, Recipe 2 (4 total)

I used Lamb instead of Pork for this recipe. Unfortunately I did not do a very good job of getting ingredients this time around. I should have had dried oregano and parsley on hand...Oh Well... This cookbook has an issue with waste - I ended up with at least 1 1/2 cups of extra sauce.

Did I like it? Yes - it was excellent. I wouldn't expect swiss chard, romaine, and pumpkin seeds to go well together but it was yummy.

How to make this recipe:
Bring to a boil and then simmer for 40 minutes:
1 pgk lamb stew meat from Bob Otis (i think it was about 3/4 lb - i should have used 1.5 lbs), 2 cups chicken stock, 5 pepper corns, 1/2 a chopped onion, 1 inch cinnamon stick.

Meanwhile pan roast:
1/8 tsp cumin seed, 1/8 tsp anise seed, 2 allspice, 2 cloves - place into a bowl.

Then roast:
1/4 cup raw pumpkins seeds until they start popping - add to previous spices.

Then roast:
1/4 cup sesame seeds - add to previous spices.

In a blender puree:
1/2 cup tomatillo salsa (i couldn't find fresh tomatillos), 1/2 cup water, 1/2 - 1 jalapeno chile, 3 cloves garlic, 1/2 onion.

Heat 2 T oil in pan, Add blendered items. Cook for aprox 7 minutes. Place back in blender with spices and 1/ cup of the stock you have been simmering the lamb in - puree. Place back in pan and simmer 10 minutes.

Take a cup of the stock you have been simmering the lamb in and add 2 T corn meal. Add that to the spiced/tomatilo mixture. Simmer 10 minutes.

In a blender puree:
3/4 cup water, 3 leaves romaine, 2 leaves swiss chard. Add to simmered mixture with the simmered meat. Simmer for 10 minutes.

1 comment:

Eppie said...

That sounds like a neat recipe. There was a cookbook I got from the library a few times of latin american cooking and a bunch of recipes called for pumpkin seeds, but by the time I found shelled pumpkin seeds, I had returned the book and I haven't used them yet. Maybe I will try out this recipe