Sunday, May 31

Kohlrabi Dumplings

The Victory Garden Cookbook by Marian Morash
Cookbook 23, Recipe 1 (Total 48)

We purchased Kohlrabi at the Farmers Market yesterday and I chose this recipe to use them up.

Did I like it? It was delicious! They were light and flavorful. However, they were a bit o' work...

Recipe:
Boil 12oz of Kohlrabi bulbs in water for 30 minutes, followed by .4 oz of the leaves for 5 minutes. Peel bulbs and place in a food processor with the leaves and 1/2 cup of ricotta - Puree. Place mixture in a pan over low heat.

In a pan bring to a boil 1 cup water with 6T butter. Take off the heat and beat in 3/4 cup flour. Place back on medium heat and cook, stiring constantly, for about five more minutes - until the mixture films the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat and add 3 eggs - one at a time. Beat in Kohlrabi mixture along with 3/4 cup grated parmesan.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and drop in Kohlrabi mixture with a 1 1/2 inch ice cream scoop. Simmer for 15 minutes. Plunge in to ice water and let sit in the water until they sink to the bottom. Remove from ice water and drain on a towel for 10 minutes.

Place dumplings in a buttered pan, brush with butter, sprinkle with parmesan and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

Well... As I was typing this recipe in I realized that while I halved the kohlrabi mixture, I did not halve the pate a choux mixture - oops. It turned out great and I'm not sure it would have been as delicate if I had made it correctly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a4q06z8i58 j0b97r1z52 b6h67n5a92 e8q86c7f87 c6a66i6u03 k3k16b2f89