Saturday, May 30

Tarragon and Chive Ravioli

The Herbfarm Cookbook 200 Herb-Inspired Recipes, Plus a Complete Guide to Growing, Handling, and Cooking with Fresh Herbs by Jerry Traunfeld
Cookbook 22, Recipe 1 (Total 46)

While in Seattle last Fall I would have loved to eat at The Herbfarm Restaurant. The cost was around $300 per person so we passed the opportunity by. I picked this recipe out in January and have been waiting for my chives to burst out of the ground.

Did I like it? On the scale of ravioli I've eaten in restaurants, it's up there at the top. On the scale of ravioli I've made at home it's solidly in the middle of the pack. It has a nice flavor but I just love squash ravioli with sage butter.

I did not make the pasta recipe from this cookbook. I always use the recipe from The Il Fornaio Pasta Book by Maurizio Mazzon. It works every time so I don't mess around with any others.

Recipe:
Pasta: On your counter place 1 1/4 cups flour. Create a big well in the middle - you should have circle of bare counter top about 4 inches across - surrounded by a levy of flour. Into this circle add 2 eggs, 1 tsp olive oil and 1/2 tsp sea salt. Using a fork beat the eggs together and gradually add flour from the edges until you have a cohesive dough. Knead until smooth and not sticky - about three minutes. Let set covered on your counter for 30 minutes. Divide in half. Roll out 1/2 to the second to last setting on your pasta roller.

Filling: Mix together: 1 cup ricotta, 1 egg, 3 T chopped tarragon, 1/4 cup chopped chives, 1/4 cup chopped parsley, 1/4 cup grated parmesan.

Fill your ravioli's and boil for about three minutes.

Melt 3T butter and add 2T chopped parsley, 1T chopped chives and 1 T chopped tarragon. Pour over cooked ravioli and garnish with chive blossoms.

No comments: