Saturday, December 29

Curried Cauliflower in Squash Custard

This morning I laid in bed thinking about a squash ricotta ravioli in a cauliflower cream sauce. In the end a few adjustments were made. The recipe below is for two of the IKEA pans I gave you for Christmas. You could cut the recipe in half or bake the other in an oven proof bowl.

This afternoon I accidentally discovered a process to extract potato starch. When I boiled the potatoes for lefsa last week I froze the water which they were boiled in to use later in bread. This morning I took a hunk of the frozen potato water and placed it in a pan on low heat and left it alone. When I came back to check on it the starch had separated from the water in a strange globuleous mass. I assume if I could have dried it and pounded it into a powered potato starch (i didn't). Sure does make excellent bread...



Also attached is a pic of our excellent Eggnog from Christmas - Thanks for the raw milk Rachel!


Curried Cauliflower in Squash Custard
Blender or whisk up:
1 1/2 cups squash puree (i used Australian blue)
1 cup whole milk
4 eggs
1/2 tsp salt

Saute with hot olive oil:
2 crushed garlic cloves
2 finely chopped shallots
2 T finely chopped ginger
add:
1/2 tsp curry powder
aprox 2 cups cauliflower

Divide cauliflower mixture between pans and cover with squash mixture. Place in a 9x13 and fill the larger pan with 1/2 way up with hot water.
Bake at 350 for aprox 45 minutes.

No comments: