Sunday, May 22

Raised Potato Doughnuts



My friends came over for dinner, doughnuts and drinks yesterday. Of the three doughnuts I made - these were my favorite!

The recipe is from Greg Patent's Baking In America. I've had hit and miss luck with this cookbook - this was a definite hit.

Scald 3/4 cup whole milk with 1T sugar - when cool - pour over 2.5tsp yeast. When yeast is proofed add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1.5 tsp vanilla, 8 T soft butter, 1 cup of mashed russet potato, 3 eggs and 3 cups of flour. Add up to 2 cups more flour - until the dough is just this side of stickiness. Here you are supposed to let it raise for 1.5 hours. I did not have time as I made this on Friday night after bookclub. I put it straight into the refrigerator for an overnight rest. Roll the dough out to a 1/3 inch thickness. It's pretty springy so I had to roll - rest - roll - rest etc... in order to get it that thin. Cut with a doughnut cutter and raise until they are light and puffed. Fry in 365 degree vegetable oil for 2 minutes a side. After 30 seconds of draining on a paper towel dip into a mixture of 3 cups powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/4 tsp almond extract and 1/2 cup milk. The glaze will harden in about 30 minutes.

No comments: